My two young daughters love food on a stick (doesn't everyone?), but I want to expand their food experiences beyond the typical fare. This Asian influenced dish is a complete meal which is fun and easy to make with the family and, if your kids are anything like mine, will not last very long on the plate. The only trouble is catching them to wipe the mess off of their faces. Enjoy!
1 cup FRENCH'S® Classic Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsp FRENCH'S® Honey Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp peanut butter
1.5 cup Basmati rice
1.5 lb London broil
3 cup water
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. If using wooden skewers, place into dish of water.
2. Chop 1 mango and place into medium saucepan with 2 Tbsp water and juice of 1/2 lime. Cook on medium-low until soft, about 20 minutes.
3. FOR GLAZE: Combine 1/4 cups soy sauce, French’s Worcestershire Sauce, zest of one lime, juice of 2 limes, and 1/2 tsp pepper into small saucepan. Heat on medium-low until reduced by about half, about 30-40 minutes.
4. FOR PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE: Combine peanut butter, French’s Honey Dijon Mustard, 1 tsp soy sauce, juice of 1/2 lime, dash of salt, dash of pepper, and 2 tsp water in small bowl. Set aside.
5. FOR MANGO-LIME RICE: Mash cooked mangoes in bowl. Combine rice, mangoes, 3 cups water, and a dash of salt in medium saucepan. Heat to boiling, cover, and reduce to medium-low heat. Let cook for 20 minutes. Remove to large bowl and add zest of 1 lime. Mix to fluff rice and combine mango and lime zest. Cover with large plate for about 5 minutes.
6. FOR BEEF SKEWERS: Thinly slice beef into strips about 5-6 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick. Place onto pre-soaked skewers and season with salt and pepper. Place skewered meat onto pre-heated grill or grill pan and cook about 3 minutes per side. Brush glaze onto meat letting cook for 1 minute before flipping and glazing the other side. Continue to flip and glaze the meat until each side has at least 2 applications of glaze.
7. TO SERVE: Pack rice into medium bowl to shape and turn out onto large plate. Place skewers around rice and top rice with sliced mango for garnish. Serve family style alongside dipping sauce. Enjoy!
You can easily substitute chicken, ground beef, or any other meat, really for the London broil to change things up a little. You can substitute cashew butter or tahina for the peanut butter for those with peanut allergies. Just adjust the water to get the right consistency for you.